Saturday 27 June 2009

Making WORDS/worlds



This introduction to the idea of Birnbaum's curated show for the biennale illustrates an idea I am very interested in. Through semiotics and in translation the meaning of something when communicated via different languages can be quite different. This point is moot I hear you say. Well, durrr, perhaps. I am trying to imagine what my interpreation of graffiti culture has to do with a halcyon 70's NYC era. How can I appreciate it as it's intended to be. What I have, from an early age, been excited by no longer exists. I grew up watching the film Wild Style:



Which in itself is a parody of the graffiti scene. So you can imagine my facination with the aspects of versimilitude we find in cultural output. I think Marshall McLuhen put it very well when he said "Food for the mind is like food for the body, the inputs are rarly the same as the ouputs." If we consider that we consume culture and digest it then would it not be also right to regard the preperation of it as nuanced. I imagine much as my Cassoulet is to some tastes inauthentic that the creation of the art works I produce would also proove dubious to some tastes. It's this difference that I am currently interested in. In the Cult of Youth the voracious pursuit of material causes many gaps in comprehension. I recall being at a dance hall club in Munich with a group of liberal Germans who were going wild to the beats and chants of some fiercely homophobic Capleton tunes. I thought to myself, there is something wrong here. This is where the product superceeds the products content. This is a parody of a Dancehall Club, this is not ironic, this is not being post modern, this is being wittnes to blind consumerism. Rum adverts and films have conviced us this is the music to listen whilst having a good time.

These ideas are as of yet fragments - much more is yet to come. I have an artwork in the pipeline dealing with this issue, a couple actually. I should go back and read my reference books on semiotics and give Marshall Mcluhen a proper going over again.

I must manifest my research in artworks rather than blogs... I may yet become a Leben traum kunstler. A life dream artist????

No comments: