Tuesday 16 June 2009

Faust's Study (I) from line 1210

But now, that deep contentment in my breast,
Alas, wells up no more, inspite of all my best
Endeavours. Oh how soon the stream runs dry,
And in what parching thirst again would lie!
How often this has happened to me!
Any yet, there is a remedy:
We learn to seek a higher inspiration,
A supernatural revelation -
And where does this shine in it's fullest glory,
If not in that old Gospel story?
Here is the Greek text; I am moved to read
It's sacred words, I feel the need
Now to translate them true and clear
Into the German tongue I hold so dear.
(He opens a volume and prepares to write)
'In the beginning was the Word': why, now
I'm stuck already! I must change that; how?
Is then 'the word' so great and a high a thing?
There is some other rendering.
Which with the spirit's guidence I must find.
We read: 'In the beginning was the Mind.'
Before you write the first phrase think again;
Good sense eludes the overhasty pen.
Does 'mind' set worlds on their creative course?
It means: 'In the beginning was the Force'.
So it should be-but as I write this too,
Some instinct warns me that it will not do.
The spirit speaks! i see how it must read,
And boldy write: 'In the beginning was the Deed!'

No comments: