Wednesday 17 June 2009






I wanted to revisit this old work as the space where it was located has now been torn down and redeveloped. I recently was contacted by a member of the Aberdeen FC supporters club the RED ULTRAS (Check out their photostream here)congratulating me on the piece. Looking back the work functioned really well, it was honest and egalitarian.


"Stand Free where ever you may be..."

I made this mural in a derelict fore court next to one of Aberdeen's busiest roads, it also happens to be in one of the most deprived areas of the town but I'm not sure I find that too significant. I just wanted to make a piece which would resonate on a number of levels and highlight a positive aspect of the city. Aberdeen FC "Stands free" of the Church, is non sectarian I feel it also speaks about tolerance.



Admittedly this image of partisan machismo is at odds with the intention I hoped my icon would confer but what is beautiful about it is the intencity of civic pride. It is a shame that this pride is only really visible when in conflict with another body. I would like to create more synergy in the public, more discussion, more questioning, more searching. If I can find more positives to amplify in communities all's the better. I don't want to appear superficial, I understand that sometimes it's more important to provide critique - I think Hewitt and Jordan do this well. This piece done in collaboration with Dave Beech in particular might by a useful if cynical retort to my endeavors:

No comments: